In 1916, World War 1 veteran C. Arthur Anderson became active in the furniture and undertaking business. By 1926 he moved the Escanaba funeral business from the old Fair Store building to 1220 First Avenue South. In 1950 C. Arthur's son, World War 2 veteran Arthur, joined his partnership and in 1952 they built a new funeral home which is at its present location of 2200 Ludington Street.
In 1966 Arthur and his wife, Lois, purchased the Kelly Funeral Home in Gladstone and renamed it Anderson Funeral Home. This second site gave families an additional location for the Anderson Family to serve them.
In 1980 Arthur's eldest son, Chris, graduated from the University of Minnesota with a Bachelor's Degree in Mortuary Science and joined the family business as a third-generation partner. In 1986 Arthur's second son, Keith, also graduated from the University of Minnesota with a Bachelor's Degree in Mortuary Science. At that time the three formed a partnership until 1994 when Arthur retired from funeral service and Chris and Keith purchased the business. Chris is a former President of the Michigan Funeral Directors Association and currently serves on the National Funeral Directors Association Policy Board.
Christina Anderson, Chris' youngest daughter, received her Bachelor of Science degree in May of 2016 from the University of Minnesota, majoring in Mortuary Science. Christina continues the Anderson tradition as a fourth generation funeral director.